Location: Max. M. Brown Memorial Park, South Williamsport, PA
Sculptor: Frank Gaylord II
Status: In Situ
Inscribed on plinth: [Little League Baseball logo] AT THIS SITE ON JUNE 6, 1939 WAS PLAYED THE FIRST LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL GAME. DEDICATED JUNE 6, 1989.
Plaque: Founded by Williamsport resident Carl E. Stotz as a three-team league for children, Little League has become a highly respected international organization, providing youth baseball and softball to millions worldwide, along with the benefits of fair play, friendly competition, and a desire to excel through responsible volunteer leadership. From the first Little League Board of Directors (consisting of Carl and Grayce Stoltz, George and Annabel Bebble, Bert and Eloise Bebble, and John and Peggy Lindemuth), more than a million volunteers every year now lead the world's largest organized youth sports program.
(The plaque, added after 2000, covers the middle part of the plinth inscription (see photo right). The full plinth inscription reads: AT THIS SITE ON JUNE 6, 1939 WAS PLAYED THE FIRST LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL GAME. ORGANIZED AS A THREE-TEAM LEAGUE FOR YOUNGSTERS BY WILLIAMSPORT RESIDENTS CARL STOTZ, GEORGE BEBBLE AND BERT BEBBLE, LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL HAS GROWN INTO A HIGHLY RESPECTED INTERNATIONAL YOUTH SPORTS PROGRAM PROVIDING FOR TWO AND ONE-HALF MILLION PARTICPANTS EVERY YEAR THE BENEFITS OF FAIR PLAY, FRIENDLY COMPETITION, AND A DESIRE TO EXCEL THROUGH RESPONSIBLE VOLUNTEER LEADERSHIP. DEDICATED JUNE 6, 1989.)