Qualifications and Testimonials
Figure It Out is managed by Dr Chris Stride. For further details on the statistical consultancy and training services available, contact me via email or on +44 114 2223262.
I am an applied statistician currently based at the University of Sheffield: my home department is the Institute of Work Psychology, though for the past decade and a half I have been analysing data from, and publishing across a wide range of social science disciplines. This background, allied with consultancy I have provided for academic, public sector and private sector clients, has given me a great depth of experience in offering statistical support and training to non-statisticians from a variety of
Qualifications and Memberships of Professional Bodies:
Ph.D. in Statistics, from University of Warwick (1992-1995)
Class I B.Sc. Honours Degree in Mathematics and Statistics, from University of Warwick (1989-1992) .
Courses included Time-series and Forecasting, Medical Statistics, Decision Theory and Multivariate Statistics.
Chartered Statistician (C Stat. status awarded by
Royal Statistical Society in March 2008)
Fellow of the
Royal Statistical Society
Committee Member of
Over the past decade I have performed statistical consultancy work for a wide range of
public and private sector companies, sometimes myself and sometimes
in conjunction with researchers at the University of Sheffield. Clients have included
the Bar Diversity Council, Barclays Bank, Cambridge University, Warwick University, Centrica, DWP,
the MoD, the NHS, Network Rail, Pearn Kandola, and
the Police Force SSO.
Teaching and training:
Basic hypothesis testing
Questionnaire and study design
Exploratory data analysis and descriptive statistics
Basic univariate statistics (T-tests, crosstabulation, correlation, ANOVA)
Generalised Linear Modelling
Factor analysis, reliability and scale development
Structural equation modelling
Over the past decade I have organised, written teaching materials for and taught
basic through to advanced level statistics and statistical computing to post-graduate psychology students, management and MBA students,
and members of academic staff. Topics covered in these sessions include...
I have also organised, developed and taught on training courses run by ASSESS (UK SPSS Users Group),
teaching statistical computing skills to delegates from a wide variety of public and
private sector backgrounds.
A few comments from past students:
Excellent stats course... I appreciate CS’s engagement with this subject and his helpful handouts and exercises.
Stats is not my strong point but the high quality of teaching did make a difference to my learning and enjoyment of this module.
Very helpful and enthusiastic lecturer who definitely knows his subject
Like the exercise and answer format - this way I know what I have understood
Though based in an Occupational Psychology department, I publish across a range of social science disciplines, with my current personal research interests being around well-being, health and the built environment, perfectionsim, nostalgia and sports data. A short selection of recent books and peer-reviewed publications is given below. A more detailed listing can be found
in my CV on the IWP website.
- Stride, C.B., Wall, T.D. and Catley, N. (2007). Measures of Job Satisfaction, Organisational Commitment, Mental Health and Job-related Well-being: A BenchMarking Manual, Second Edition. London: Wiley.
- Stephan, U, Uhlaner, L. & Stride, C. B. (2014) When do Individuals Engage in Social Entrepreneurship? The Role of Institutional Voids, Institutional Support and Institutional Configurations. Journal of International Business Studies.
- Stride, C. B. , Thomas, F. E. & Smith, M. M. (2014) Ballplayer or Barrier Breaker? Branding Through the Seven Statues of Jackie Robinson. The International Journal of the History of Sport.
- Greaves, M., Zibarris, L. & Stride, C. B. (2013) Using the Theory of Planned Behaviour to explore environmental behavioural intentions in the workplace. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 34, 109-120
- Sheehan, B., Burton, E., Wood, S. J. and Stride, C. B. (2013) Evaluating the Built Environment in Inpatient Psychiatric Wards. Psychiatric Services, 64(8), 789-795
- Ball, K. S., Daniel, E. & Stride, C. B. (2013) Dimensions of employee privacy: an empirical study. Information, Technology and People, 25(4): 376-394
- Stride, C. B. , Wilson, J. P. & Thomas, F. E. (2013) Honouring heroes or Branding in Bronze: theorising the UK’s football statuary. Sport in Society, 16(6): 749–771
- Stride, C. B., Turner, N., Reich, T., Clegg, C. & Murphy, P. (2013) Negative Safety Events as Predictors of Perceived Barriers to Employee Safety Performance. Safety Science, 53, 45-50.
- Wood, S. J., Stride, C. B. & Johnson, S. (2012) Personal and Team Morale in Health Services: Distinctive and Measurable Concepts. Journal of Health Management, 14(4), 535-557
- Totterdell, P., Hershcovis, S., Niven, K., Reich, T., & Stride, C. B. (2012) Can employees be emotionally drained by witnessing unpleasant interactions between co-workers? A diary study on emotion regulation. Work & Stress, 26(2), 112-119
- Norman, P., Conner, M. T. & Stride, C. B. (2012) Reasons for binge drinking among undergraduate students: An application of behavioural reasoning theory. British Journal of Health Psychology, 17(4), 682-698
- Town, J. M., Hardy, G. E., McCullough, L. E. & Stride, C. B., (2012) Patient affect experiencing following therapist interventions in short-term dynamic psychotherapy. Psychotherapy Research. 22(2), 208-219
- Stride, C. B. , Thomas, F. E., Wilson, J. P. & Pahigian, J. (2012) Modeling stadia statue subject choice in US baseball and English soccer. Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, 8(1), 1-36
- Beleska-Spasova, E., Glaister, K. & Stride, C. B. (2012) Resource determinants of export performance. Journal of World Business, 47, 635-647
- Johnston, A., Huggins, R., and Stride, C. (2012) Knowledge networks and universities: Locational and organisational aspects of knowledge transfer interactions. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 24(7), 475-501
- Holman, D., Totterdell, P., Axtell, C., Stride, C. B., Port, R., Svensson, R., & Zibarris, L. (2012) Job Design and the Employee Innovation Process: The Mediating Role of Learning Strategies. Journal of Business and Psychology, 27(2), 177-191
- Mason, S., O’Keeffe, C., Knowles, E., Bradburn, M., Campbell, M., Patterson, M., Stride, C., Rick, J., Coleman, P. & O’Hara, R. (2012) A pragmatic quasi-experimental multi-site community intervention trial (NEECaP) evaluating the impact of Emergency Care Practitioners in different UK health settings on patient pathways. Emergency Medicine Journal, 29(1), 47-53
- Turner, N., Stride, C. B., Carter, A. J., McCaughey, D. & Carroll, A. E. (2012) Job Demands-Control-Support Model and Employee Safety Performance. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 45, 811-817
- Burton, E. J., Mitchell, L. & Stride, C. B. (2011) Good places for ageing in place: development of objective built environment measures for investigating links with older people’s wellbeing. BMC Public Health, 11, 839-851
- Wood, G., Dibben, P., Stride, C. & Webster, E. (2011) HRM in Mozambique: homogenization, path dependence or segmented business system? Journal of World Business, 46, 31-41
- Dupré, K. E., Barling, J., Turner, N., & Stride, C. B. (2010) Comparing perceived injustices from supervisors and romantic partners as predictors of aggression. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 15(4), 359-370
- Inness, M., Barling, J., Turner, N., & Stride, C.B. (2010) Transformational leadership and employee safety performance: A within-person, between-job design. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 15(3), 279-290
- Waterson, P., Griffiths, P., Stride, C. B., Murphy, J., Durbridge, M., & Hignett, S. (2010) Psychometric Properties of the Hospital Survey on Patient Safety: Findings from the UK. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 19(5), 1-5
- Clarke, S., Norman, J., & Stride, C. B. (2009) Criteria for a tournament: the World Professional Snooker Championship. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 60(12), 1670-1673
- Cammiss, S. & Stride, C. B. (2008) Modelling Mode of Trial. British Journal of Criminology, 48(4), 482-501
- Birdi, K., Clegg, C., Patterson, M., Robinson, A., Stride, C. B., Wall, T. D., & Wood, S. J. (2008). The impact of human resource and operational management practices on company productivity: A longitudinal study. Personnel Psychology, 61(3), 467-501
- Van Dierendonck, D., Haynes C., Borrill, C. & Stride C. B., (2007). Effects of upward feedback on leadership behaviour toward subordinates. The Journal of Management Development, 26(3), 228-238
- Sprigg, C., Stride, C. B., Wall, T. D., Holman, D. J. & Smith, P. R. (2007). Work Characteristics, Musculoskeletal Disorders and the Mediating Role of Psychological Strain: A Study of Call Center Employees. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92, 1456-1466